Find Out The Few Working Methods And Easy Steps To Solve ‘Unfortunately, Google App Has Stopped’ Keeps Popping Up Error Message!
Overview: I have done some research and I have observed that there are many Android users out there are encountering with the error message ‘Unfortunately, Google App has stopped working error message. So, in this post I have decided to share various solutions that can help you to fix “Unfortunately, Google App has Stopped” error on Android phone and tablet.
- Solution 1: Soft Reset Phone To Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped
- Solution 2: Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped By Clearing App Data & Cache
- Solution 3: Uninstall Google App Updates
- Solution 4: Uninstall and Re-install App To Troubleshoot Google App Has Stopped
- Solution 5: Boot Phone Into Safe Mode
- Solution 6: Update your Android OS
- Solution 7: Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped By Factory Reset
Let me tell you that Google apps are those apps that are developed by Google such as YouTube, Google Photos, Hangouts, Play Store, Gmail, Google Maps, etc and we often find people reporting about “Unfortunately, YouTube has stopped”, “Unfortunately, Google Search has stopped”, “Unfortunately, Hangouts has stopped” or “Unfortunately Google Play Store has stopped”.
An error that makes Apps to stop working randomly is experienced by Android users every day. And when Google app stops working then you get error message “Unfortunately, Google App has Stopped”. This is a strange error because this error occurs when you are using an app and suddenly it stops working and crashing.
Just Have A Look At Practical Scenario:
Unfortunately, Google App has stopped
This happens just about every time I back out of Google Now:
I’ll be looking through the cards and info, and when I’m done, I’ll press back to exit, and then I’ll get a message saying, “Unfortunately, Google App has stopped”. I send crash reports, but have heard nothing. It started happening after the most recent update. I can’t find anything online about it. It’s not google.process or whatever. It’s “Google App” that stops
Please, any help?
Source: Google Product Forums
Apps not working or stopped while working, is a very confusing error because at one moment your app is running smoothly and the very next moment it stops working completely and shuts down automatically throwing error message.
But why we get such error message? Below, find out the reasons by yourself.
Causes: Why Google App Stops Working Suddenly?
Unfortunately, Google App has stopped error messages that keeps popping up every now and then can be due to several reasons. It is important to understand that such errors are not App or Apps particular and it may occur to any App/Apps.
The reasons behind the occurrence of such error message could be due to:
- Data crash, it is a situation wherein an app, OS or software stops working as normal and get closed abruptly. This can happen due to improper connection both cellular or Wi-Fi.
- Cache files, the app cache files may be corrupted or it has not been cleared from a long time.
- Improper or incomplete installation of apps may lead the app to crash or stop working.
There could be more causes behind the occurrence of the ‘Unfortunately, Google App has stopped error’, but not any one reasons can be blamed for it.
So, how to solve “Unfortunately, Google App has stopped” error on Android?
Read on below to find out several solutions to fix Android error message ‘Unfortunately, Google App has stopped’.
Solutions To Fix “Unfortunately, Google App Has Stopped” Error on Android
Note: The below mentioned solutions can be used on any Android phone and tablets such as Samsung, HTC, Google, Sony, Xiaomi, Oppo, Vivo, Motorola, LG, Huawei, etc to fix above error message. Also note that different phone models has different settings, hence the steps may differ from phone to phone.
Solution 1: Soft Reset Phone To Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped
This is the very first troubleshooting that you must follow. You can do soft reset of your phone which simply means restarting your device. This is very effective solution if you have not Switched OFF your phone from very long period of time. A soft reset will power cycle your phone.
It is a very good habit that you must Switch OFF your phone every few days for few minutes, this will keep variety of issues away from your phone whether it is related to App stop working, phone working slow, etc.
Solution 2: Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped By Clearing App Data & Cache
Clearing App data and cache to fix unfortunately Google app has stopped, and such errors are very effective as it clear app data and cache files that have been accumulated due to regular usage of App from long time. Hence, it is suggested that all users must clear atleast App cache for apps to work smoothly.
Here how to clear data and cache:
- Go to Settings > Apps.
- Swipe left until you find All.
- Scroll down to app that is creating problem and tap on it, say for example “Play Store”. Now simply tap on Clear Data and Clear Cache.
Now check if your problem is solved or not, if not then follow the next solution.
Solution 3: Uninstall Google App Updates
Here are the steps on how to uninstall Google App updates. These steps are performed on Samsung phone.
- Go to Settings on your device.
- Select Applications > Applications Manager.
- Scroll to find Google App (if you don’t see it in the list, tap the 3 vertical dots on the top right corner of the screen and then select show system apps).
- Select Google App.
- Select Uninstall Updates.
- When uninstall is complete, reboot phone.
I hope your problem should be gone now. If not, then go to next solution.
Solution 4: Uninstall and Re-install App To Troubleshoot Google App Has Stopped
In some cases, if the app is not in-built, then you can try to remove/uninstall app which is creating problem and re-install it to resolve this issue.
Note: If the app is inbuilt and you are not able to uninstall it then skip this solution.
Solution 5: Boot Phone Into Safe Mode
In this solution we will try to find out that if third-party apps have something to do with it which is creating problem. For this, you have to reboot the phone into Safe Mode. Rebooting phone into safe mode disable all third-party apps. If the error is occurring due to third-party apps, then this error wouldn’t show up while your phone is in safe mode.
Here how to boot your phone in Safe Mode:
Note: The steps are performed on Samsung phone.
- Switch OFF your device.
- Press and hold Power button and when “SAMSUNG” logo appears on the screen, release the Power button.
- But as soon as you release the power button, press and hold the Volume down button and hold it until device finishes restarting.
- Safe Mode will get displayed on the left corner of the screen. When you see ‘Safe Mode’, then release the Volume down button.
Assuming that error does appear in safe mode, then find the third-party app that is creating problem (it could be recently third-party downloaded apps) and uninstall it.
Solution 6: Update your Android OS (If your Android is running on older Android version)
Updating Android OS can help you to get rid of unfortunately Google app has stopped problem. If your Android phone or tablet has an Android system update then immediately update it. This solution has actually worked for many users.
Here how to upgrade Android OS:
- On your Android phone go to Settings > About phone > About device > System update.
Here you can check and update your Android operating system.
Solution 7: Fix Unfortunately Google App Has Stopped By Factory Reset
If none of the above solution work for you then the last option left with you is to factory reset your Android phone to fix the issue.
Note: Follow this solution as last option because performing factory reset erases all data from the device. So, it is recommended that you must first backup all of your phone data to PC, cloud storage or external SD card before factory reset.
Here how to factory reset to fix unfortunately, Google App has stopped working:
- On your device go to Settings > Backup and reset.
- Next, tap on “Factory data reset” and then tap on “Reset Device”.
- Now Tap on “Erase Everything” as shown in the screenshot below to factory reset your device.
Once factory reset process gets complete, your device will reboot automatically and you have to set it up once again and after that you will not see unfortunately Google App has stopped error anymore on your Android device.
Note: If you have forgot to keep backup of your data before performing factory reset and have lost important data that you wish to recover then immediately try Android Data Recovery software to recover lost data after factory reset.
Unfortunately, Google App has stopped is not a very big problem and it does mean that there is a problem in your Android device, App or in Android OS. It is random error occurs due to various reason in given situation and it can be easily fixed by following the above mentioned solutions.
Max Field is a founder of recoverandroid-data.com. He is an Android lover and loves to write tips, tricks, fixes for errors, data recovery solutions and more related to Android.