We have done some research and we have found that there are many Xiaomi phone users encountering with the fast battery drain issue.
We have also found that there are users looking for tips and tricks to increase battery life of Xiaomi Mi and Redmi phones.
So, in this blog post you are going to learn tips and tricks to increase battery life of Xiaomi phones – improve battery backup in MIUI.
With these tips and tricks I am sure that you definitely going to extend battery life of Xiaomi (both Mi and Redmi) phones.
So, let us start with real user practical scenario.
Practical Scenario: Redmi Note 4 Battery Drain Fast
Hi, Im from Viet Nam, my redmi note 4 has problem with stanby battery, it drains so fast, maybe 15-16% in 6h, I found that my rmn4 has problem wih phone signal, if i turn on airplane mode, it doesn’t drain that, other user in VN have the same problem too, can anyone helps me fix that? Thank you so much, sorry for my bad english
Source: XDA Forums
When we talk about battery backup of Xiaomi phones, then we do not have any major concern, it is because most of the Xiaomi phones comes with huge power packed battery with better software performance and optimization.
When the phone is new then they give very good backup, whether you use your phone moderately or heavily – it gives almost more than 2 days of battery backup at beginning.
But once it becomes 1 year old, the battery life starts to decrease. Now, you have to charge it more often as it do not give even 1 day of battery backup.
Well, you don’t need to get worried about it!
Here we share some tips that will allow you to increase battery life in MIUI on any Xiaomi phones.
How To Increase Battery Life In MIUI: Save/Extend Battery Life In Xiaomi Phones
Note: These tips applies to all Xiaomi phones such as
The tips and tricks that we are sharing are common but following these common things will only help you to increase/extend/save battery life of both MI and Redmi Phones.
Important Notes: The settings may differ from phone to phone so it is suggested that you must find the settings as per your Xiaomi phones.
So, here we go!
Tip #1: Use Static Wallpaper [Recommended – Use Dark Wallpaper]
First of all remove live wallpaper, if you are still using it and in place of live wallpaper set static wallpapers. Let me tell you that live wallpaper looks adorable but the fact is that it consumes lots of battery power and RAM.
So set static wallpaper, even better if you use dark static wallpaper as it consumes very less battery power.
In order to set static wallpaper
- Go to Settings > Wallpaper.
- Here you will see the options to change wallpapers.
- Simply tap on “Change” and select any static wallpaper that you wish to set and click on “Apply”.
Tip #2: Adjust Brightness Level Manually
Let me tell you that Xiaomi smartphones comes with auto-brightness features that automatically filter screen brightness and adjust itself in day light and low light, but this consumes more battery power.
Hence, it is suggested that you must adjust brightness level manually.
Here how to adjust brightness level:
- Go to Settings > Brightness > Battery level.
- Here you can disable automatic brightness and adjust it manually.
- Set the brightness level in the middle or toggle it bit closer to minimum but still bright enough to read.
This will prevent your device from consuming more battery power.
Tip #3: Turn ON Battery Saving Mode
Turning ON battery saving mode will help you to turn OFF GPS, Syncing process and limit the background process and thereby you can experience increase in battery life.
In the latest MIUI updates such as in Redmi 4/4A/Note 4/5A handset you will see this option in quick toggle settings. You need to just pull down the notification panel and TURN ON battery saver.
Alternatively, you can follow the below steps to enable battery saver mode:
- Go to Settings > Battery & Performance > Power > Turn ON Battery Saver.
There is also an option of scheduling battery saver mode that will allow you to schedule when you want your device to enable power saving mode, this will help you to save battery power automatically.
The best time to schedule this feature is between 11 pm to 6 am because at this time most of the people sleep so, why not to make your phone sleep as well. Enabling this feature will freeze most of the app’s activity.
Below find out how to schedule battery saver:
Go to Settings > Battery > Power > Battery Saver > Turn ON Schedule Time To Switch Between Modes and then select start time and end time.
Tip #4: Turn OFF System Animations
Let me tell you that in all Xiaomi Redmi and MI phones, by default the animation is turned ON. Also note that system animations tend to use up more battery energy.
So, turning OFF animation will increase the battery backup as well as increase speed of Xiaomi phones running on MIUI.
Here how to disable System Animations:
- Go to Settings > Battery > Tap on System animations and then select Hide system animations.
Tip #5: Turn OFF GPS/Location
Turn OFF GPS or disable location when you don’t need it. If you keep GPS enabled all the time then it will definitely drain your device battery quickly.
Hence, it is suggested that unless you really need the use of GP feature, keep it Turned OFF.
Here how to Turn OFF GPS:
Pull down notification panel down by swiping from top to bottom and then tap on GPS to turn OFF it.
Alternatively, Go to Settings > Additional Settings > Privacy > Location > Tap on Battery Saving.
Tips #6: Turn OFF Automatic Sync Process
Many users have a habit of backing up their photos, videos and other data by keeping the automatic Sync feature enabled all the time.
But let me tell you that keeping automatic sync feature enabled all the time consume battery power. You can sync you data manually whenever you want to do it, but do turn off automatic sync process as it will help you to enhance battery backup.
Here how to turn OFF sync:
- Go to Settings > Other Account > Turn OFF Sync.
Tip #7: Turn OFF Wi-Fi
Keeping Wi-Fi ON all the time also consume power of your phone. So, to reduce power consume of your phone battery, you must turn OFF wi-fi. Only turn ON wi-fi when you need it.
So, here find out how to turn off wi-fi:
- Simply, swipe down notification panel from top to bottom and then tap on Wi-Fi option to turn OFF.
- Alternatively, go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Toggle the button to OFF.
Tip #8: Decrease Screen Timeout
This is very effective way to save some amount of battery power – decrease the screen timeout time.
In order to decrease the screen time out, follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > Lock screen & password.
- Tap on Sleep and select 15 sec or 30 sec.
Note: The lesser the screen timeout time you set the more power you will save.
Tip #9: Keep Your Xiaomi Phone and Its Apps Updated
It is always suggested that you must keep your phone as well its apps updated. Updated phone and apps keep your device running in good performances as it helps to solve bug issue and add new features. Keeping your device updated with the latest version of Xiaomi MIUI will help you to improve battery and beside that you can also enjoy the new features and improvements.
Tip #10: Restrict Background Apps Process
If you restrict background apps then you will be able to save battery power and thereafter you will experience that battery backup has increased.
You can easily restrict background activities on any Xiaomi phones running on MIUI. Just follow the below steps:
- Go to Settings > Tap on Battery.
- Next tap on Manage apps battery usage and then turn ON power saving mode.
There is also an option through which you can individually restrict app background activity.
Here how to restrict individually apps background activity:
- Go to Settings > Tap on Battery.
- Next tap on Manage apps battery usage and then tap on Choose apps.
- Select any app and then turn on MIUI Battery saver (recommended) or turn OFF background process just by clicking on Restrict background activity.
Tip #11: In Weak/Low Signal Areas Turn ON Aeroplane Mode
This is the fact that phone consumes lots of battery power in searching network in weak or low signal areas.
So, whenever you are in low or weak areas it is advised that you must turn ON aeroplane mode.
Here how to activate aeroplane mode on Xiaomi phone:
Simply swipe down the notification panel from top to bottom and tap on Aeroplane.
- Alternatively, Go to Settings > More.
- Now toggle Aeroplane mode to ON
Tip #12: Other Small Tips But Very Effective To Save Battery Power In Any Xiaomi Phone (MIUI)
- Turn OFF mobile data, wi-fi, bluetooth when you do not require it.
- Uninstall unwanted or unused apps.
- Turn OFF vibration or tones on button press.
- Turn OFF notifications of those apps that you use very rarely.
- Switch to 2G connection when you don’t use internet.
- Clean cache and RAM
- Don’t use phone while charging. It would be better if you charge it in Airplane mode or by switching the device off.
- Always use original charger and data cable that comes with the phone.
- If you are using your phone for continuous chat, then put your phone in silent mode.
Extra Bonus Tip: Battery Charging Tips
This is the last tip, but very effective!
For anyone those who do not know, we would like to share some knowledge on how to increase battery cycle counts.
What is a cycle count?
A cycle count is charging your battery from 0% or near zero to 100%.
On an average most lithium battery with a few rare exception, have approximately about 350 – 500 cycle counts. It means that if you charge your phone from 0 to 100 percent then after 500 times your battery will not provide you the same battery backup and it may just hold only 70-80% or less as you were getting at the beginning.
In some worst cases, if your battery has only 350 life cycle counts and you charge your device 1 time/day, then after 1 year you will experience that your phone’s battery backup has decreased significantly.
So, now the question arises that how to increase the life-cycle of lithium batteries?
Well, there are 3 ways through which you can increase the life cycle counts of your battery:
- Charge you phone with slow charger. The slower your phone gets charged the more gentle it is on your battery. Today, we can find fast charger that has the capability to charge phone battery in just few minutes. So, it is suggested that you must avoid such fast charger.
- Never let your phone battery down to 0%. You should plug in charger around 5-10%.
- Very important: NEVER charge your phone till 100%. If you have started charging your phone at 5% then charge it till 85-90%, only then you can expect your lithium battery life cycle to count to 1000 cycle counts. And if you charge it till 75-80%, then you can increase life cycle up to 2000 cycle counts.
So, these are the tips and tricks that you must follow to increase or improve battery backup of your Xiaomi phone running on MIUI.
If you have liked this post and if you have found this useful, then please share it with your friends on facebook, twitter or on any other social media websites.